MISC FOR WOMEN’S SINGLES SFs:
It has NEVER been any women semifinal in the Grand Slam history which has a Russian-Russian / US – US configuration (where Russians played each other and US did the same).
-when 2 Russians and 2 US players were in the SF, it was in 2009 in Wimbledon
(Serena Williams vs. Elena Dementieva and Venus Williams vs. Dinara Safina)
In the history of the Australian Championships, it NEVER happened that 2 Russian and 2 US players reached the SF at the same time.
-when 2 Russians played against each other in a SF at a Grand Slam, it was in 2009 at Aussie Open (Dinara Safina vs. Vera Zvonareva)
-when 2 US players faced to each other in a SF at a Grand Slam, it was in 2002 at US Open (Serena Williams vs. Lindsay Davenport, the coach of Madison Keys!)
This Aussie Open women’s final will be the 8th meeting between a Russian (or former USSR) and a US female player in the Grand Slam history:
1. 1974 RG (Chris Evert vs. Olga Morozova)
2. 1974 W (Chris Evert vs. Olga Morozova)
3. 2004 W (Maria Sharapova vs. Serena Williams)
4. 2007 AO (Serena Williams – Maria Sharapova)
5. 2009 AO (Serena Williams – Dinara Safina)
6. 2010 W (Serena Williams – Vera Zvonareva)
7. 2013 RG (Serena Williams – Maria Sharapova)
8. 2015 AO (Serena Williams/Madison Keys – Maria Sharapova/E.Makarova)
Every match was a 2setter!
6:1 W/L record for the US players.
In Australia, in a Russian-US women’s final, ALWAYS the US players won.